8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Fire Service Fees
It is the intention of Council that the service of fire protection shall be continuted, maintained and improved by the City, in part, at the charge and expense of the owners of buildings and structures of every kind and nature within the City, the occupiers or tenants of such buildings and structures and the owners of vehicles within the City, which owners and occupiers are declared to be the users and beneficiaries of such fire protection service as contemplated by West Virginia Code 8-13-13. (Codified Ordinances of the City of Wheeling 793.01)
- Annual Billings Mailed - November 1
- First Half Due - December 1
- Second Half Notices Mailed - March 1
- Second Half Due - April 1
- Who is required to pay the Fire Service Fee? All residents and businesses that own or rent property within the City of Wheeling are required to pay.
- Why am I required to pay this? The Fire Service fee goes into the General Fund to be used by the Fire Department for salaries, equipment, insurances, etc.
Rate per Year
Tenant (Commercial or Residential)
$0.068 per square foot
- Billing Period: July 1 to June 30
- Billing Dates:
- Annual billings mailed November 1
- First Half Due Date: December 1
- First Half Penalties for Late Payment begin January 1
- Second Half notices mailed March 1
- Second Half Due Date: April 1
- Second Half Penalties for Late Payment begin May 1
- Fire Service Fees may be paid in person, by mail, or by telephone. Visa and MasterCard are accepted. A 1% processing fee applies to credit card payments.
- Notify the Finance Department when there is a change in home ownership or renter.
- For Additional Details: see Codified Ordinances of the City of Wheeling, Part 7, Chapter 5, Article 793
Inquiries regarding Fire Service Fees may be directed to (304) 234-3651.