All persons engaged in the trades, businesses, professions, occupations, activities and privileges contained in this Business Regulation and Taxation Code shall be licensed in accord with the provisions of this Code. No person shall carry on any activity hereinafter mentioned in this Code upon which a fee is imposed without payment of such license fee. The payment in full of the proper fee, the issuance of a license certificate under the provisions of this Code and the fulfillment of all terms and conditions of such grant shall be conditions precedent to the carrying on of any activity for which a license is required by this Code. (Codified Ordinances of the City of Wheeling 701.04)
- Renewals Mailed May 31
- Renewals Due June 30
- All persons engaged in business activity within the City of Wheeling need to be licensed and/or registered to pay Business & Occupation (B&O) taxes to the city. A State of West Virginia license is also required. The following information will guide you through the process of obtaining a city license. Information Sheet
- New Business License Assessment Sheet - This is the first step in obtaining a City of Wheeling Business License. Stop by Room 115 of the City County Building to obtain the form.
- Zoning Approval- Once you have the New Business License Assessment Sheet, you will need to obtain Zoning Approval. Zoning approval is required for most types of businesses. The Zoning Department is located in Room 305 of the City County Building. Phone (304) 234-3701.
- Signing up for Inspection- Once zoning approval is obtained, you must schedule an Inspection of the business. You can do this by visiting Room 115 of the City County Building. Phone (304) 234-3653.
- Inspection of Business- Every new business that occupies space within the city of Wheeling must be inspected. License check inspections occur every Thursday morning. At this time, the city building inspector, electric inspector, and fire inspector will inspect the business. An additional inspection must be scheduled with the Health Department at (304) 234-3682, Water Department (304) 234 3849 and Water Pollution Control Department (304) 234-3874if you are selling food. If you are opening up an establishment that will be selling alcohol, you must talk with the Police Department at (304)-234-3708 as well.
- Return signed license inspection sheet- Once your business has passed the inspection, you must bring the signed New Business License Assessment Sheet back to the City Finance Office (Room 115). You will then pay for your City of Wheeling Business License and register for the B&O tax.
- For Additional Details: see Codified Ordinances of the City of Wheeling, Part 7, Chapter 1, Article 701
The license is issued for a maximum term of one year, expiring June 30 th . You must renew your license by July 1 of each year. License Fees:
|LICENSE TYPE ||FEE |
|General Business License||$15.00|
|Insurance Companies, which by state law are exempt from Business and Occupation Tax. Note: Insurance Agents are classified under the General Business License Fee.||$100.00|
|Beer/Wine/Liquor Retailer (ABCA Retailers)||$250.00|
|Beer/Wine/Liquor Wholesaler (ABCA Wholesalers)||$500.00|
|Private Clubs, Fraternal Organizations, Non-profit, Social, Other (ABCA Private Clubs) Less Than 1,000 Members||$600.00|
|Private Clubs, Fraternal Organizations, Non-profit, Social, Other (ABCA Private Clubs) More Than 1,000 Members||$1,250.00|
New Business and B&O Tax File Information Form
Business License Application Form
LICENSE NEEDS VARY ACCORDING TO THE TYPE OF BUSINESS; THEREFORE IT IS BEST TO CONTACT THE CITY OF WHEELING AT (304)-234-3653 BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO OPEN ANY BUSINESS IN THE CITY OF WHEELING.