The Wheeling Fire Department invites the public to an open house of its South Wheeling fire station this coming weekend as it marks a significant anniversary to the community. For 150 years, a firehouse serving that section of the city has maintained a presence on its current lot.
From Noon to 2 p.m., Sunday, March 13, WFD will allow citizens to tour the facility and learn about the history of the station with department personnel. The department’s mascot “Fire Pup” also will be on hand for kids to meet and take photos with the trucks.
Station 4, located at 3618 Jacob Street, opened on March 13, 1872. According to historical documents, there was little fanfare when the station opened. The original station was constructed shortly after the town of South Wheeling was incorporated into the City of Wheeling in 1871.
Nicknamed the ‘8th Ward Hose House,’ Station 4 is the only station that has retained its original designation and truck number in the city. The original station was razed in 1953, forcing firefighters to work temporarily out of a nearby Cooey-Bentz warehouse until the current building, which currently houses Engine 4 and Squad 3 was constructed in 1954.
The primary response district for Station 4 is the South Wheeling area from 27th Street to the city limit at 48th Street.
To learn more about the fire department’s history, visit wheelingwv.gov/fire.