Wheeling Police Department
Application for Probationary Police Officer I
BENEFITS: The City of Wheeling offers an excellent benefits package (Health, Dental, Vision, Vacation Time, Personal Day, and Sick time)
*$5,000.00 sign-on incentive for West Virginia Certified Police Officers*
Eligibility requirements for the Police Civil Service Probationary Police Officer I Exam are:
1. Age 18-40 at the time of examination
2. High School Diploma or G.E.D. Equivalent
3. Valid Driver's License
4. No Convictions for the following criminal offenses- Domestic Assault or Domestic Battery, DUI, or any Felony.
5. Must be a bonafide resident living within a forty-five (45) mile geographic distance from the Wheeling Police Department; located at 1500 Chapline Street, Wheeling, WV 26003. Employees must be this requirement prior to appointment or within six (6) months thereafter.
6. Resident of the United States.
If you feel are eligible to receive veteran's preference points in accordance with § 6-13-1, it is your responsibility to submit a DD-214 with this application, or to the Human Resources office before the test date.
The City of Wheeling Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer- unlawful discrimination on basis of race, color, religion, age (between 18-40), sex, national origin or ancestry is prohibited by City, State, and Federal Laws. The following application must be completed in detail. The Police Civil Service Commission reserves the right to return or reject an incomplete application. It is the applicant's responsibility to notify the City of Wheeling Human Resources Department of any change in address, email, telephone number or statute; failure to do so may result in the removal of your name from the eligibility list.
The City of Wheeling Police Department is guided by Civil Service Rules and Regulations. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to sit for the Probationary Police Officer I examination. Applicants who pass both the physical and written portion of the exam will be placed on the eligibility list. The eligibility list will last for two (2) years or until it is exhausted.
Online Application Instructions:
1. Read the above eligibility requirements.
2. If you meet the eligibility requirements, please fill out the ENTIRE job application in detail.
3. Please review your entire application before submitting your application.