Cancel
The City of Wheeling, West Virginia
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
Bookmark and Share
 
 
The City of Wheeling, West Virginia Historic Resources

To preserve and protect historically and architecturally significant buildings and neighborhoods in the City of Wheeling, West Virginia.

HISTORIC PRESERVATION INFORMATION

The following resources are available to individuals interested in learning more about historical properties and sites in the Wheeling, WV area:

National Register Listings in Wheeling 

Historic Preservation Laws

Historic Preservation Forms and Applications 

 

LOCATION MAP

  1. Centre Market Square
  2. Chapline Street Row **
  3. Downtown Wheeling
  4. East Wheeling
  5. Highland Park
  6. Monroe Street East
  7. National Road Corridor
  8. North Wheeling
  9. Wheeling Island
  10. Wheeling Warehouse
  11. Woodsdale - Edgwood

**subject to Certificate of Appropriateness Process

 

 

HISTORIC DISTRICT NARRATIVES

Centre Market Historical District

 The Centre Market Square and Centre Market Historical District are located in the Center Wheeling neighborhood of Wheeling, West Virginia.  The Center Wheeling neighborhood was founded in the early 1800’s and by the mid to late 1800’s, the Centre Market Square District was a thriving and vital Wheeling neighborhood.

The area was primarily settled by individuals of Germanic descent.  The majority of the residents were employed through the local iron and glass manufacturers. The architecture and history of the area reflects the economic and social development of the District from the 1850’s to present with such architectural styles represented, as Greek Revival, Victorian Italianate, Gothic, Neo-Classical, and Contemporary.

On February 20, 1975, the Centre Market Square was recognized by the National Register for the architectural and historical significance of the 1853 and 1891 market house structures commonly known as the Iron Market House and the Lower Market House, respectively.

The Iron Market House opened for business on September 27, 1853 to serve as the central agricultural market business district for the City of Wheeling, WV.  The Greek Revival structure was designed by Thomas Pope as an open air market. The structural cast iron Doric columns were produced by the Wheeling foundry of Hamilton and Rodgers. The Iron Market House is the oldest iron market house in the United States.  Given the growth the Centre Market area experienced through the mid to late 1800’s an additional market area was developed. The Lower Market House was completed in 1891 and designed by Wheeling architect Edward B. Franzheim.

On January 12, 1984, the Centre Market Square Historic District was recognized by the National Register for the area’s various examples of architecturally intact late 19th century neighborhood residences, commercial buildings and institutional buildings.

Of note, the Maxwell property at 2100 Market Street was purchased by the Board of the Wheeling Independent School District.  The building on the site was remodeled and in 1898 became the first Wheeling High School.

Today the Centre Market Square and its surrounding residential community are home to an eclectic mix of shops, unique eateries, and architecturally significant structures that still serve the Wheeling area as a commercial and residential hub for residents and tourists as well. For more detail, click here.
 

North Wheeling Historic District

The North Wheeling Historic District is located in the North Wheeling Neighborhood area.  The Historic District was recognized by the National Register for the area’s various examples of architecturally intact 19th century neighborhood residences, commercial buildings and institutional buildings on December 9, 1988.  The preserved structures represent the high level of artistic talents possessed by craftsmen and architects of the 19th century in the Wheeling, WV area.

The North Wheeling area is one of the earliest settled areas of Wheeling WV and is historically known as Old Town. The district features the homes of Wheeling’s prosperous 19th century industrialists and businessmen, rendered in high style examples of Victorian architecture. In addition, several other architectural styles are represented: Italianate, Greek Revival, Queen Anne, Romanesque, and Contemporary.

North Wheeling was once the location of several early and important Wheeling commercial industries such as: iron foundries, nail works, boat building, boat and steam engine manufacturing, glass works, and the Wheeling Water Works (founded in 1834). The majority of the historical buildings and the industries are now gone but the architectural evidence of the prosperity of the time period is preserved in various examples of architecture in the area that highlight the commercial boom experienced by Wheeling, WV in the late 1880’s and early 1900’s.

Four factors that led to the industrial development of Wheeling, and especially in the North Wheeling area, are: access to the Ohio River, the National Road being connected to Wheeling in 1834, the construction of the Wheeling Suspension Bridge in 1849, and the arrival of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in 1852.  All of these developments connected Wheeling, WV, to the eastern United States and opened the area as a commercial important gateway for westward expansion and the industrial revolution.

Today the North Wheeling area is a diverse mix of residential and commercial structures. Starting in 1999 and completed in 2005, the Wheeling Housing Authority completed a new housing community of over 130 units on the site of the old Wheeling Hospital on Main Street and the surrounding area. The development combines owner-occupied houses and rental units at a variety of income levels. Reflecting the Victorian Heritage prevalent in North Wheeling, the homes were designed to complement the local architecture while offering all the amenities of new construction. For more detail, click here.
 

Wheeling Island Historic District

The Wheeling Island Historic District, located in the Wheeling Island neighborhood of Wheeling, WV, was recognized by the National Register on April 2, 1992 (and additional documentation on 1997) for architectural significance because of its varied collection of mid to late 19th and early 20th century residential buildings. Architectural styles present are: Queen Anne, Italianate, Colonial Revival, Second Empire, Federal, Greek Revival, Bungalow, and Prairie. The 374 acres island is one of the most densely populated islands in the United States.

Prior to 1849, Wheeling Island was a sparsely populated area known as “Zane’s Island. The Zane family, the original settlers’ of Wheeling, owned and farmed the island. Residential development was introduced to the island with the completion of the Wheeling Suspension Bridge in 1849 that connected the island to Wheeling’s central business district and to the rest of the United States. The island was home to both wealthy and working class residents of Wheeling that were interested in living in a home away from the City.

Some historical areas of interest located on Wheeling Island are: the Old Exposition Hall (constructed in 1924 by the West Virginia Exposition and State Fair Association), the Wheeling Suspension Bridge (1849), the Aetnaville Bridge (1891), the Bridgeport Bridge (1893), the “Marina,” Bridge Park, and Belle Isle Park.

Currently, Wheeling Island is home to residential and commercial areas that cater to Wheeling residents and tourists. The original residential area has maintained much of its architectural integrity and the southern part of the island has experienced a major transformation with the completion of the Wheeling Island Racetrack and Gaming Center that features gambling, luxury hotel, live greyhound racing, dining, and passenger steamboats. For more detail, click here.
 

HISTORIC DISTRICT PHOTOS

Centre Market Square Historic District 

North Wheeling Historic District 

Wheeling Island Historic District 

 

HISTORIC RESOURCE MITIGATION

The following is a list of historic resources that have been demolished by the City of Wheeling, WV. Given the determination of the adverse effect these demolitions will have on the properties and the surrounding area, the City has completed documentation and entered into an agreement with the West Virginia State Historic Preservation Office, in accordance with the State Level Recordation Standards, to mitigate the adverse effects. Additional information and documentation of the properties below can be accessed at the ECD Department in the City County Building, the Wheeling Public Library, and through the Historic Landmarks Commission of Wheeling, WV.


108 North Wabash Street

108 N Wabash

The structure is a two-story wood frame dwelling with a front to back gable roof that is intersected by side to side gable at the roof’s midpoint constructed c. 1900. On the south side and rear of the structure are two one-story “shed” additions. The roof is clad with asphalt three tab shingles. Windows are one/one wooden and aluminum double hung and side sliding units. Siding is a mixture of shingle and clapboard.

The foundation is glazed tile. The structure has fallen into severe disrepair due to water infiltration and general neglect.

The structure at 108 North Wabash Street is listed as a contributing structure in the Wheeling Island Historic District. In 2008, the City of Wheeling issued a demolition order on the structure to raze an unsafe structure. The proposed demolition will have an adverse effect. The City has completed a Memorandum of Agreement and has recorded the structure in accordance with the State Level Recordation Standards to mitigate the adverse effect.

 

Eoff Street

2242 Eoff St.

The structure is a two-story masonry dwelling constructed c.1890. The roof is a front to back shallow pitch shed roof made of rolled asphalt. The entrance to the structure is a store-front, representative of its past usage. Intricate cornice and detail work is present along the roof lines and above windows. Windows are one/one wooden double hung. The foundation is stone. Twenty years of neglect due to vacancy and water intrusion has severely deteriorated the masonry walls of the building and the structural framing.

The structure at 2242 Eoff Street is listed as a contributing structure in the Centre Market Historic District as part of the boundary increase update in 1987. In 2008, the City of Wheeling issued a demolition order on the structure to raze an unsafe structure. The proposed demolition will have an adverse effect. The City has completed a Memorandum of Agreement and has recorded the structure in accordance with the State Level Recordation Standards to mitigate the adverse effect.


Jacob Street

2341 Jacob St.

The structure is a two story brick residential home constructed c. 1865 in the Italianate style of architecture with a shallow side gable roof. Building details include: Italianate wood cornice on the front, shallow arched windows with one/one glazing, and a transom with a decorative bracketed entrance. The building has been vacant since 1988 and the majority of architecturally significant features have been removed, are rotting, or missing. The building has become structurally unsound and poses a danger to the public’s health and safety, as well as surrounding buildings and the architectural integrity of the neighborhood.

The structure at 2341 Jacob Street is not listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is not historically significant based on research of historic records. In 2010, the City of Wheeling issued a demolition order on the structure to raze an unsafe structure. The proposed demolition will have an adverse effect on a potentially historic resource and as such the City has completed a Memorandum of Agreement and has recorded the structure in accordance with the State Level Recordation Standards to mitigate the adverse effect.


Eoff Street

2710 Eoff St.

The structure is a two-story wood frame dwelling with a front to back gable roof that is intersected by side to side gable at the roof’s midpoint constructed in 1881. Ornate cornice work adorns the front box gutter. A hip roof covered porch covers the entrance. Windows are one/one wooden and two/two aluminum double hung. The siding is aluminum. The foundation is stone. The structure has fallen into severe disrepair due to water infiltration and general neglect.

The structure at 2710 Eoff Street is not listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is not historically significant based on research of historic records but could be considered as a contributing resource to a potentially eligible historic district. In 2008, the City of Wheeling issued a demolition order on the structure to raze an unsafe structure. The proposed demolition will have an adverse effect.The City has completed a Memorandum of Agreement and has recorded the structure in accordance with the State Level Recordation Standards to mitigate the adverse effect.


Eoff Street

3725 Eoff St.

The structure is a two-story wood frame dwelling with a front to back gable asphalt shingle roof that has a side to side triangular roofed dormer in the front. Construction date is unknown. At the rear, a side to side walled dormer overlooks a two-story wooden shakes covered addition. Windows are one/one wooden double hung. The siding is narrow clapboard. The foundation is clay tile with some replacement concrete blocks added recently for support. The structure has fallen into severe disrepair due to water infiltration and general neglect.

The structure at 3725 Eoff Street, Rear is not listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is not located in a historical district but could be considered as a contributing resource to a potentially eligible historic district. In 2008, the City of Wheeling issued a demolition order on the structure to raze an unsafe structure. The proposed demolition will have an adverse effect. The City has completed a Memorandum of Agreement and has recorded the structure in accordance with the State Level Recordation Standards to mitigate the adverse effect.


National Road

391 National Road

The structure is a two-story masonry dwelling constructed c. 1890. The roof is a front to back gable roof made of asphalt shingles. Decorative scroll work is featured beneath the front box gutter. Windows are one/one wooden and aluminum double hung. The foundation is stone. The structure has fallen into severe disrepair due to water infiltration and general neglect.

The structure at 391 National Road is not listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is not located in a historical district but could be considered as a contributing resource to a potentially eligible historic district. In 2008, the City of Wheeling issued a demolition order on the structure to raze an unsafe structure. The proposed demolition will have an adverse effect. The City has completed a Memorandum of Agreement and has recorded the structure in accordance with the State Level Recordation Standards to mitigate the adverse effect.


Main Street

435 Main St.

The structure is a two-story side by side duplex that has been modified into a four unit dwelling. The brick structure with a gable roof made of three tab shingles. Ornate cornice and trim work is present on the building. On the rear of the structure is a one-story wooden shingle addition. Windows are one/one wood and aluminum double hung. The foundation is stone. Due to years of neglect the property has become potentially dangerous.

The structure at 425 Main Street is not listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is not located in a historical district but is in close proximity to the North Wheeling Historic District could potentially be considered as a contributing resource to the North Wheeling Historic District. In 2008, the City of Wheeling issued a demolition order on the structure to raze an unsafe structure. The proposed demolition will have an adverse effect. The City has completed a Memorandum of Agreement and has recorded the structure in accordance with the State Level Recordation Standards to mitigate the adverse effect.


North Huron Street

500 N. Front St.

The structure is a two-story wood frame dwelling with a front to back gable asphalt shingle roof. Construction date is unknown. The siding is aluminum. The foundation is clay tile. The structure has fallen into severe disrepair and structural problems due to general neglect.

The structure at 500 North Huron Street is listed in the Wheeling lsland Historic District as a contributing structure. In 2008, the City of Wheeling issued a demolition order on the structure to raze an unsafe structure. The proposed demolition will have an adverse effect. The City has completed a Memorandum of Agreement and has recorded the structure in accordance with the State Level Recordation Standards to mitigate the adverse effect.


Market Street

601 Market St.

The structure is a two-story masonry dwelling with a front to back gable roof made of three tab shingles. In the rear of the building is a two-story brick addition. Ornate cornice and trim work is present on the structure. Windows are one/one wood, vinyl, and aluminum double hung. The foundation is stone. Due to years of neglect, water infiltration, and minor fire damage the property has become structurally unsound.

The structure at 601 Market Street is listed in the North Wheeling Historic District as a contributing structure. In 2008, the City of Wheeling issued a demolition order on the structure to raze an unsafe structure. The proposed demolition will have an adverse effect. The City has completed a Memorandum of Agreement and has recorded the structure in accordance with the State Level Recordation Standards to mitigate the adverse effect.


Main Street

1120 Main St.

1120 Main St.

The structure is a three-story masonry dwelling constructed c.1890. The roof is a rear to front shallow pitch shed roof. The entrance to the structure is a glassed in store-front, representative of its past usage. The third floor windows are curved arch openings but windows have been removed and replaced with wood sheathing. Rough cut wood has been installed above the store front to stimulate the look of a barn. The foundation is stone. The property has fallen into severe disrepair due to water intrusion.

The structure at 1120 Main Street is listed in the Wheeling Historic District as a contributing structure. In 2008, the City of Wheeling issued a demolition order on the structure to raze an unsafe structure. The proposed demolition will have an adverse effect. The City has completed a Memorandum of Agreement and has recorded the structure in accordance with the State Level Recordation Standards to mitigate the adverse effect.


Market Street

1055 Market Street

The structure is a two-story masonry dwelling constructed c.1870. The roof is a front to back gable roof that is intersected by a side to side shed at the middle of the rear of the structures. The roof is clad with asphalt three tab shingles. The entrance to the structure is a store-front, representative of its past usage. The first floor has Carrara Glass across the transom, bulkhead, and pilasters. Windows are one/one wooden double hung and aluminum framed fixed. The foundation is stone.

The structure, also known as the Nicholas Crawley Building, at 1055 Market Street is listed as a contributing structure in the Centre Market Historic District. On March 5, 2009, the structure’s roof and façade collapsed and the City of Wheeling issued a demolition order on the structure to raze an unsafe structure. The proposed demolition will have an adverse effect. The City has completed a Memorandum of Agreement and has recorded the structure in accordance with the State Level Recordation Standards to mitigate the adverse effect.


Main Street

216 Main Street

The structure is a two-story masonry duplex constructed c.1900. The roof is hip roof clad in three-tab shingle. On the western façade, a raised level entry provides access for each unit. Windows are one/one wood double hung. The foundation is stone. Due to years of neglect the property has become potentially dangerous.

The structure at 216 Main Street is not listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is not located in a historical district but is in close proximity to the North Wheeling Historic District and could potentially be considered as a contributing resource to the North Wheeling Historic District. In 2008, the City of Wheeling issued a demolition order on the structure to raze an unsafe structure. The proposed demolition will have an adverse effect. The City has completed a Memorandum of Agreement and has recorded the structure in accordance with the State Level Recordation Standards to mitigate the adverse effect.


North Wabash

444 North Wabash

The structure is a two-story wood frame dwelling constructed c. 1900. The roof is a front to back gable roof with a single story flat roof and dormer over the main entrance. The roof is clad with asphalt three tab shingles. Windows are one/one wooden and aluminum double hung. The siding is aluminum. The foundation is structural clay tile. All architectural artifacts have been removed. The structure has been vacant since 1991 and has fallen into severe disrepair due to water infiltration and general neglect.

The structure at 444 North Wabash Street is listed as a contributing structure in the Wheeling Island Historic District. In 2010, the City of Wheeling issued a demolition order on the structure to raze an unsafe structure. The proposed demolition will have an adverse effect. The City has completed a Memorandum of Agreement and has recorded the structure in accordance with the State Level Recordation Standards to mitigate the adverse effect.

13th Street

74 13th Street

The structure is a two-story wood frame residential home constructed circa 1900.  The building is covered in cedar shake siding and has a covered two-story front porch.  The home is built into the hillside and the basement is exposed on the front.  The roof is a gable and flat roof combination.  The foundation is terra cotta block. All architectural artifacts have been removed. The structure has been vacant since 2007 and has fallen into severe disrepair due to water infiltration and general neglect.

The structure at 73 13th Street is listed as a contributing structure in the Center Market Square Historic District.  In 2010, the City of Wheeling issued a demolition order on the structure to raze an unsafe structure. The proposed demolition will have an adverse effect. The City has completed a Memorandum of Agreement and has recorded the structure in accordance with the State Level Recordation Standards to mitigate the adverse effect.


For more information about West Virginia Historic Preservation, please click here.

 

 

From the region’s largest trail system, to national schools of excellence, to a reorganized municipal government, the City of Wheeling offers a dynamic environment for you, your family and your business. There are many features that are unique to this area and we are proud of them! Our businesses enjoy the business climate as well with our advanced, motivated work force. The work force also enjoys being active in our various professional organizations. The area boasts year-round entertainment, leisure, sports, music, festivals, dining, shopping, and much more.

Wheeling, Wheeling, WV, West Virginia, City Manager, McKenzie, Economic Development, Events Calendar, Oglebay, Wheeling Chamber, Redp, CVB, Heritage, WVNCC, WJU, WLSC